Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Meet the team:

Angela of LaveMe Soap Co.
A little over two years ago, it started as it did for many of us – the desire to give interesting gifts to friends and family. Angela – or LaveMe, as we know her here and on etsy – started making M&P soap. And she was hooked. “Soaping, even M&P, was waaay more fun then I was prepared for. Everyone loved the natural base and came back for more. That is when I decided to try selling.” Next came HP soaping, which intrigued her even more. “I love it more than M&P any day!” she said. “I love to be the creator from beginning to end. Making the recipe from scratch. Getting an idea of the look and smell, maybe trying something new - like adding honey on a whim. I really love watching the process of the oils reacting with the lye in my crock pot. It is truly amazing to see it all happen right before my eyes.”

Angela, a moderator on the site and one of the first members of the team, was chosen for our second team member profile …

What about soaping (or B&B in general) intrigues you the most? What scares you? What is it about soaping that is all yours - something no one else does but you?
I am most intrigued by how much creativity goes into soap. It is basically oils, lye, additives, but man! The possibilities are endless … swirls, soap shaped like poo, soap made with carrots, salt bars, soap pies... What scares me the most is not so much making soap. I respect the lye, therefore I have no fear (I am always safety prepared). I am more worried about the failure aspect of B&B with selling. With a community this BIG it is sometimes overwhelming to get your grasp upon the market - in fact I am still doing that.

If I could pick out one thing that is unique to Lave-me I would have to say it is me. I don't have that gimmick necessarily to carry my shop. I make what I like that I would use. Unique scents like cucumber wasabi cilantro completely make me happy. I hope that my personality comes through. My shop is me and I am selling myself one bar at a time ;)

If they made a movie about soap, who would play you? What kind of movie would it be?
Hopefully Warner Bros would make it so I would not have to go far for work. It would be called, A TUB OF LIES, starring Parker Posey (as me). I would single-handedly take on the FDA and the corporations who want to make it harder for a small B&B business to survive and let chemical companies keep polluting the earth, all in the name of greed.

If you had a million dollars to spend on soap stuff, what would you buy?
I would buy my own B&M soap shop here in LA. It would be pink and teal with bubble shaped lights and crafting tables where you can make your own balms, M&P soaps and such. I would have a full working soap factory in the back where I could create custom soaps with someone helping out the clients up front. I would have my own team of fragrance gurus and all the organic oils possible. Also, I would like a pink stick blender. That would be cool.

What is your best advice for someone just starting out in the soaping/B&B field?
My advice is to research your butt off. Start small, like with a good kit. ASK QUESTIONS! If you feel hesitant or silly, find a soap mentor. I caught a lot of flack in the beginning with questions but I ignored it and kept at it. Start with books and online sites like Teach Soap. You will not learn everything at once. I hope I never know it all. I want to always be learning and trying new techniques. As far as selling goes, I am new at this, but I will tell you what I learned. You will spend a lot of money trying to figure out what works and what sinks. Make a light box and take awesome pics. Know what your target market is and don't give up. I get discouraged too, but then I think of when someone asks how my soap is doing, I cannot hear myself say, “I quit.”

What is one thing you'd like to learn?
I would really like to learn to make my own shampoo and conditioner bars!!! I already use all natural organic, but I would like to eliminate one more purchase and reduce use of bottles even more.

What is your favorite thing you've ever created?
The least-favorite thing?
My favorite soap I have ever created would have to be...that is hard. I love every batch like it is a new child. They are all beautiful in their own way. Maybe my new batch with cocoa butter and honey? Man is that good stuff. My least favorite soap would have to be anything with sandalwood. I get nauseated just thinking about it.

If you could read minds, what would you want to learn about your customers?
I would truly want to know if there is anything they would like that they don't see in my shop. Is there a particular scent or additive they would like to try? I sometimes feel like I get stuck in an idea rut and a fresh idea would be nice!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!
Shall I save mt speech for the Oscar? lol!

Anonymous said...

Angela, you sound like such a fun and inspiring person to have in our group... so glad you're here!!
:D

GREEN SPRINGS BODYWORKS said...

very interesting blog

Anhoki's Place said...

Too cute. I read this and DH said you sound like me. Uh-Oh. 8oP

Anonymous said...

LOL! Thanks mooney! I def an dnot a normal person, but I think in a good way. Swan did an awesome job too.

anhoki. soapy twins??

DreamersWeb said...

I want to eat your soap! LOL Great to meet ya Angela!!!