Monday, April 18, 2011

Meet The Team

Tell us a bit about yourself.


I’m lucky because there’s a bit of both the north and the south of our wonderful country in me. Raised in Illinois as a child, I always said “you all” because my mom was from a little town in Kentucky and that’s how she spoke. The other kids would tease me but that was okay.


I now live on an island off the coast of Georgia. One has to cross four rivers on a causeway to get here. The oak trees drip with Spanish moss and there is history here going back to pre-revolutionary times! By the way, when we were considering this location, I asked several people about hurricanes …. everyone said, “Oh! We don’t get those!” …. Hum ……..

How did you get started?



I got started making soap 8 or 9 years ago. My mom loved fragrances and taught me the importance of taking care of one’s skin. She said by age 30, people should be regularly using a moisturizer. Did I mention she’s the first “Amelia” …. and that’s my middle name?



What is your purpose in making bath and body products?



I am passionate about what I do. It’s important to me that I make great products, ones that are the best quality they can be. In products that stay on one’s skin, I am fussy (fanatic?) about keeping them all natural whenever possible. I love to know about the many oils and butters that Mother Earth gives us! In soaps, I enjoy using a high percentage of shea butter as it makes the bars harder and more emollient. When something I make helps someone, it truly makes my day!



Why did you choose to be on a team?



The people on SAFEteam care deeply about doing things correctly and that is important to me too. So it seemed like the perfect fit. We also care about and help each other. I love all my friends here and would enjoy getting together with them in person!!



What is your inspiration?



My parents and family! My dad always worked hard and had me working with him when I was 14 years old, part-time of course and in the summers. My husband works hard also and so do our children.



My mom was an inspiration too --- she was very hard of hearing when I was born. Her sisters always told her the babies were so good because she couldn’t hear them cry! She read lips so well that most people didn’t realize she had a problem. From them, I learned my work ethic and my values! It’s a fortunate person who has positive role models.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this story!

Sue Dixon said...

That's our Janet!! It's great to get to know you even better!!

backporchsoap said...

Love your blog! It's wonderful to hear the stories behind the faces.

Kristen said...

I loved reading more about my favorite Soapmaker, thanks for sharing!!